What is LED video light panel?With LED standing for Light Emitting Diode, LED video light panel is the illumination equipment used by vloggers and filmmakers. It differs from the photosource like strobes for it produces constant luminance instead of a flash.
When taking a still photo, whether the photosource is flicker-free doesn’t influence the photograph quality. However, when shooting a video, continuous flicker-free illumination is often needed to present the desired coherent scene.
Continuous brightness keeps the subjects lit under the same brightness level, which provides convenience for users to preset and adjust the setup. As a continuous luminaire, video LED light is preferred by many photographers and filmmakers in recent decades. It features outstanding brightening effects, great flexibility, and convenient adjustment, suitable for both beginners and veterans.
Two typical types of LED light panelCOB, also known as Chip On Board, is a kind of chip that is composed of several diodes mounted on a substrate like sapphire silicon and carbide. It performs well in providing homogeneous luminosity. Meanwhile, thanks to its simple design that nine or even more diodes can be directly placed on the single board, it produces a stronger luminous intensity than other ones of the same size. It is the latest technology that combines excellent luminance and great compactness. See more details, please click COB.
SMD stands for Surface Mounted Device. It is another efficient chip that has good illuminating effects. Its diodes are fused to a printed circuit board. It has a lower watt ratio that it emits 50 to 100 lumens per watt while COB strip produces more than 100 lumens. It contains up to three RGB diodes on a single chip, each of which has an individual circuit. Thus, SMD RGB can produce variable colors for special effects.
Why use LED light for shooting?For those who want to improve the film quality, a suitable fixture helps a lot. It plays a role creating appropriate shadow, contrast, and atmosphere. There is a wide variety of illuminating lamps available on the market. Tungsten, fluorescent, and HMI are the traditional types of lamp. In the past few decades, the light-emitting diode has also gained popularity from photographers and filmmakers. The reasons why it is popular can be categorized into the following factors.
Optional luminous effectsIn comparison to tungsten bulb and HMI that have fixed color temperature, LED video light panel is available in a wide range of color temperature and high CRI, offering more chances for users to create the desired scene. Besides, RGB lighting supports dynamic color effects, which cannot be fulfilled with other products.
Enormous flexibilityUnlike the cumbersome HMI and the fragile tungsten, LED panel is compact and flexible to move, providing great convenience for shooting. Nowadays, there are multiple shapes of LED chips on the market. The fixture manufacturer COLBOR has produced a portable luminaire that is as tiny as a name card holder. The condensed dimension and magnetic back make it easy to be mounted on camera or cell phone. It offers great portability to carry around. For more information, please view COLBOR PL5.
Less heatMovie shooting is usually a prolonged process, which means that the equipment probably needs to work for a long time and emits much heat. For LED beads, it is not an issue. It emits strong luminosity while generating less heat than the traditional ones.
Unmatched durabilityLED bulb is much more durable than others that its lifespan is up to 50,000 hours. It won’t suddenly burn out like the tungsten lamp. Moreover, it can be cleaned easily and safely while others like halogen bulb cannot even be touched with fingers for the dirt remained on it may cause breakdown when heated. Thus, its maintenance cost is lower than the traditional ones.
Five things to keep in mind before purchasing a professional luminaireThe following five factors should be taken into consideration before purchasing the illuminating equipment for shooting.
1. LumenLumen is a measurement of luminosity. The larger lumens it has, the stronger luminance it emits. Consider the location and the subject of the shooting, and then you can know how bright the illumination you need.
2. Color rendering indexCRI tells the luminaire’s capability to reproduce the true color of the subjects. Generally speaking, those ones have 95+ CRI work well in simulating the sunray and performing the realistic color of the object.
3. Color temperatureColor temperature is another key factor that determines the brightness quality. High color temperature means cool and relatively blue light while low color temperature means warm and relatively yellow light. For example, the color temperature of solar ray is around 6000K, which is comparatively cool. Fixture with variable color temperature enables users to create different brightening effects to match different moods of the scene.
4. PortabilityThe great portability of the equipment can undoubtedly increase the use frequency. If you need to travel a lot for shooting, please choose the one that combines good illumination and compactness.
5. Power supplyThe places where you shoot determine the requirement of the power solution. The way the fixture is powered restricts the application. To meet the needs of outdoor shooting, the fixture should be equipped with a battery of large capacity.
All in all, perfect illuminating kit sets the foundation of an excellent video. LED video light panel surpasses the traditional ones in the perspectives of outstanding luminous effects, design flexibility, less heat generation, and great durability. Choose the best luminaire and create your masterpiece.